Our Vision is to be…
Southwestern Ontario’s most dynamic destination for outdoor adventure.
Our Mission is to…
Provide year round experiences for guests of all ages and abilities to enjoy extraordinary fun and excitement.
In 1946 a group of individuals gathered at the top of Reservoir Hill to enjoy a new sport they had learned while serving overseas during the Second World War. Each year more and more people would arrive at the site to participate in this young sport.
In 1949 the group of London skiers joined together to incorporate the London Ski Club as a not for profit organization. They surveyed the topography of the land and located a property outside of Byron near Boler Road that could be purchased, having a hill suitable to provide a variety of slopes from beginner to advanced skiers.
The organization was established as a non-profit community recreation facility, governed by a volunteer board of directors and operated by a combination of trained volunteers and paid employees. Any and all surplus from annual operations have been used to maintain and extend the recreational facilities.
The first trails were cleared by hand, and the first lift was a surplus Bren Gun Carrier which powered a rope tow up Big Dip. The original clubhouse was located at the bottom of Hill 55, and remained there until the construction of the present chalet in 1972. The rope tows were gradually replaced by T-bars on J.S., Hill 55, Big Dip, Double Dip and Elbow in 1968 and 1970. This was a big step in giving customers a generally cleaner and safer method of lift elevation.
In the 1960’s, a group from the Thames Valley Childrens’ Centre worked with volunteers at the London Ski Club to provide skiing opportunities for the blind and disabled. This program has been continuous and very successful over the years, due largely to the extraordinary efforts of many committed volunteers. The London Track 3 Ski School was separately incorporated in 1993 and entered into an operating and partnering agreement with the London Ski Club. Currently, there are 250 volunteer instructors serving over 120 disabled skiers each season.
In 1979 the Board entered into an expansion program that gave skiers more vertical and new slopes. In 1990 the Board again took on a major upgrading project, which included the replacement of the J.S. T-bars with a new Quad Chairlift. The snowmaking system was expanded to cover more slopes with snow in a shorter period of time. We also moved our beginner area away from the main runs to give beginners a better chance to learn. The beginner run has a new handle tow which is much more proficient than the old platter lift.
In the summer of 1995, the Boler Mountain Bike Centre began operation on the property owned by the London Ski Club. The format of the operation is very similar to the winter operation, with day tickets and memberships being sold. In its second year of operation, the bike centre increased its season pass base by more than 500% and hosted race #2 in the national Canada Cup series. The London Ski Club had become a year round recreation facility.
In 1997 the London Ski Club embarked on another major hill expansion and chalet upgrades. We added Tubing to our list of winter activities and enhanced the main floor of our chalet to become more user friendly. In 2003 the London Ski Club had a major renovation and face-lift. The two T- Bars (Rusty and Big Dip) were replaced with a new fixed grip Quad chair lift and the trails adjoining the lift were realigned. We also added a state of the art conveyor lift to tubing.
In 2005 a new Half Pipe was built beside the Tubing Park to add a new and exciting element for its youth contingent.
In 2006 the London Ski Club has expanded the terrain to our beginner area and installed a magic carpet lift. A new magic carpet lift has also been installed to provide easy access all the way to the top of the new Half Pipe and Tubing Park.
Dating back to 1949, the London Ski Club has been known as Boler Mountain and our first ski school director, Garn Shaw, referred to it in our newsletter of the time as the “Boler Mountain in the Byron Alps”. In 2010 we officially recognized the historical name and the London Ski Club became “Boler Mountain” by way of supplementary Letters Patent issued by the Ontario government.
In 2012 Boler Mountain opened the West HIll Expansion offering an additional 5 runs with double the vertical of the original hill serviced by another quad chairlift.
In 2013 our summer operations were expanded with the Treetop Adventure Park which quickly made Boler Mountain London’s #1 outdoor attraction.
In the fall of 2015 Boler Mountain has engaged local architect firm Tillman Ruth Robinson and California based chalet specialists BSA to work collaboratively on designing a new addition to our chalet. Look for further announcements in the near future as the design work progresses.
Today Boler Mountain attracts over 120,000 enthusiastic outdoor participants annually to the facility from all over southwestern Ontario. Boler Mountain has become a part of many area families lives and an important part of their healthful, active outdoor winter lifestyle.